Skylar,

> So, imagine a website secured inside a corporate
> firewall. This service needs to access the provider's
> services via OAuth and thus exposes one callback open to the
> world for purposes of the OAuth handshake. The redirect URI
> is HTTP since the corporation is having trouble acquiring or
> setting up a certificate for HTTPS - in any case, the
> provider does not requrire it. In this case, the auth code
> flows into the firewall via HTTP, but is further validated
> by client credentials over TLS in access token
> requests. Valid tokens return to the web application inside
> the corporate firewall over TLS and the information is still
> secure from outside threats. So, my point is that the use of
> client credentials (always kept secret and inside the
> firewall) secures the auth code exchange and use of HTTP
> doesn't create a vulnerability.

That is simply not true.  CLIENT CREDENTIALS DON'T HELP.  If
the user is outside the firewall and the callback URI is not
protected by TLS, the attacker intercepts the authorization
code outside the firewall and submits it to the client
through the firewall.  The client exchanges it for the
access token, uses the access token to get protected
resources, and sends those resources to the attacker
outside the firewall.

Francisco