I think requests like this and the following discussions have scared
away many of the original voices behind OAuth 2.0. As Eran said, the
goal was never to create a new framework but standardize interoperable
best practices that the industry was adopting. Under-defined extension
points don't make this specification easier to adopt in a pragmatic
fashion.

(Obviously my individual $0.02.)

--David