The attributes serves both as a flag to indicate that a body hash has been
included, but also to allow validation of the request (excluding the body)
before the body is received.

EHL

From: oauth-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:oauth-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Doug
Tangren
Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:31 PM
To: oauth@ietf.org
Subject: [OAUTH-WG] purpose of client sending bodyhash in mac authorized
requests

I'm implementing a mac authorization module for request handling library [1]
based on the latest mac spec. I ran into a curious implementation detail having
do with the bodyhash value passed in by the client.

Here [2], it says the server should recalculate the bodyhash if the client
passes one in. Since it doesn't mention comparing bodyhash values, does that
mean the only reason for having to pass in the value of the bodyhash is so that
the server knows to include it's own bodyhashing vs an empty string in the mac
hash verification? Otherwise, I don't see why the client needs to pass it in.
There there an implicit requirent for the server to also validate the bodyhash
before calculating the it's own mac for validation?

I realize some request bodies may be empty but couldn't the server detect that
on it's own and make it required that the client also includes a bodyhash in
its own mac calculation. That would be one less header field server
implementors have to handle different paths of executions for.

[1]: https://github.com/n8han/unfiltered/#readme
[2]: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hammer-oauth-v2-mac-token-05#section-4

-Doug Tangren
http://lessis.me