token_type is defined in the core spec only and indicates the token type to the client and not the resource server.

So either the core spec defines a way to distinguish token types towards resource servers (probably by utilizing the token_type parameter) or the respective schemes (BEARER, MAC) define ways to recognize the differences.

regards,
Torsten.