From: oauth-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:oauth-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of
Kushal Dave
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 1:08 PM
To: oauth@ietf.org
Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Concerns about Implicit Grant flow

Hello!

Foursquare recently encountered a scary example of a client accidentally
leaking user tokens as part of the implicit grant flow. It turns out the
official "Tweet this" button provided by twitter grabs the URL, including
fragment, at the time of page load, before the client's Javascript has had a
chance to elide the access_token hash value. And it's easy to imagine lots of
other sharing and analytics tools could be similarly aggressive in transmitting
hash values outside of the page.

We've thought a lot about what to do about this, short of disabling the flow
entirely. One thing that seems viable is to make the "access token" in this
flow actually a one-time use token. The requesting page would then make a JSONP
request exchanging the one-time use token for a permanent token that is never
visible in the URL. Has this come up? Have you had any feedback from other
implementors?

We're not excited about such a blatant deviation from the spec, but we're not
sure what else to do.

Cheers,
Kushal