Thanks for the response, Eran. I'm breaking this thread up into the
distinct issues.  Reply inline below to the first item about client
auth.

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 11:24 PM, Eran Hammer-Lahav <e...@hueniverse.com> wrote:

> > However, the SAML draft does not currently cover SAML for client
> > authentication and profiling draft-ietf-oauth-assertions would suggest that
> > it
> > should.  Is there any general consensus as to if SAML should be profiled as
> > client authentication method?  It is certainly feasible but might require
> > restructuring and retitling the draft.
>
> Are there use cases pending such functionality today? It would be a shame to
> delay an otherwise useful draft when the functionality can be added later.

I don't have any such use cases in the near future.  Perhaps others
can speak up? I personally see assertion based grants as being more
important and more immediately useful.  That was one of the reasons I
was looking to keep assertion grants and client assertion
authentication separate.  That said, Chuck has done a nice job with
his general treatment of them together in draft-ietf-oauth-assertions
and the logical thing to do, in terms of how the various documents
play together, would be to have draft-ietf-oauth-saml2-bearer cover
client auth now too.