If you don't register the combination, how would anyone know (aside from
reading every service specific documentation) what the combination means. As
clearly stated in your own list, at a minimum, the location of the credentials
is not obvious and must be defined. We had a long discussion on this list about
the correct implementation of "token code" as one example.

The cost of registration is VERY low. You don't need an RFC to do it. You just
need to publish a specification defining the response type and make it
available somewhere stable. For example, on a Google official blog or
documentation site, or on the OpenID Foundation site (your personal blog isn't
ideal but can also sometime work). Once published, you send an email to the
extension list and ask for registration. The template takes no time at all
(requested name, your name or your company/organization name, and the location
of the specification). You might get some feedback from the designated expert
(e.g. if you try to register 'token_and_code' they might suggest changing it to
'token code' or if you try to register 'send_nothing' they will suggest 'none',
etc.).

Really the only requirement is that you write a short specification defining
the combination. If you maintain a public web page with all the combination you
defined, you can keep adding those there instead of writing new specification
for each new one, as long as you keep the registered values unchanged once
registered.

So the cost is really insignificant, but the benefit of clarity and interop is
significant.

EHL