I'm probably somewhat biased by having read previous version of the
spec, previous WG list discussions, and my current AS implementation
(which expects client_id) but this seems like a fairly big departure
from what was in -16.  I'm okay with the change but feel it's wroth
mentioning that it's likely an incompatible one.

That aside, I feel like it could use some more explanation in
draft-ietf-oauth-v2 because, at least to me and hence my question, it
wasn't entirely clear how client_id should be used for those cases.