On Sep 6, 2011, at 3:49 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:

> Except in the desktop web world, I choose from a *tiny* set of browsers:
> chrome, firefox, opera, and, uh, ie. To a lesser or greater extent, I don't
> expect that the browsers themselves are malicious. Which is a pretty ok
> assumption.

It is? I would certainly question it. The WebKit WebView is embeddable in the
C/C++ programming languages and APIs are available for that on most platforms -
all are open to the same attacks you mention. How about the plugins you get for
your browser from various places - they could have key loggers too. It's also
possible for an app delivered from a server to present a login form that looks
like it is from Twitter, but is actually from an attacker site. Such attacks
are very common indeed, and don't require a key logger. They do require the
user to "trust" the app though, just as the user would need to trust the key
logger he installed.

> With embedded web views, that assumption goes out the window. There are
> 100's of thousands of apps, all of which can use webviews. I have no way
> to know if a given app is evil or not, and *lots* of apps provide facebook
> and twitter integration. Not because they're evil, but because that's what's
> expected by users. So the use model of oauth in this case is *very* different
> than the desktop use case.

I disagree. If anything, because desktop machines tend to be less 'locked-down'
than mobile platforms (app stores for desktops followed app stores for mobile
platforms), they are more widely open to abuse.

> But I'm being told that use cases aren't the problem of oauth. I'd say that
> there has all along been a hidden assumption that the browser was
> a trusted entity.

The point is simply that if you can subvert the actual platform, then OAuth
problems are the least of your worries (as a user).

- John