> You can't "replace" quoted-string.
>
> A recipient will have to be able to parse multiple challenges in a
> single header field value. To do so, it has to understand the syntax of
> params using double quotes. It can't special-case the parsing based on
> what part of the set of challenges it currently is looking at (because
> to do so, it needs to have parsed them first).

Parsing is not affected. Only un-escaping after parsing.

Even if you did generic un-escaping before reaching code that
understood a specific parameter (and I'm not sure that is likely),
you still don't need to special-case the un-escaping. You can interpret it
all like JSON as no quoted-string value in practise will escape an
alphabetic letter (a-z). Not only would it be pointless for the sender to
do so, they would also be violating a "SHOULD NOT" in the spec.

   Senders SHOULD NOT escape octets in quoted-strings that do not
   require escaping (i.e., other than DQUOTE and the backslash octet).
   [draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-16#section-3.2.3]

> If we were free to change things, we'd simply state that everything is
> UTF-8.

But that would break things.
I am only suggesting changing the interpretation of \u because
I don't believe it will break any existing values.

> But that argument doesn't change the fact how it is defined.

Changing defined behaviour is not great.
Changing defined behaviour that is *never used* (eg "\u" as an
escape sequence for "u") doesn't sound so unreasonable.

--
James Manger