I’ve spent the last couple months trying to answer this question myself (even
posted on Stack Overflow,
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7522831/what-is-the-purpose-of-the-implicit-grant-authorization-type-in-oauth-2),
 and here’s the best answer I can come up with: it’s a great solution for
someone like, say, Facebook or Twitter to be able to hand out a blob of
javascript and say, “Here, put this on your web page to enable users to
like/tweet/post on their account.” The 3rd-party web site doesn’t have to write
a lick of oauth code to manage the authorization process – the access token
just magically becomes available in the javascript code.

Dan