Hi Nat,

We probably should put some text that gives flexibility
in that respect, such as " or put in place the controls that achieves
equivalent risk mitigation." etc.

One could add this text to nearly any of the guidelines given in Section 10. But how do you assess the equivalence of the respective control?

The intention of the security considerations section was to give clear guidance even for implementors unfamiliar with security and threat analysis. We therefore gave simple guidelines without much explanation of the rationale. I think this will work for most implementations. Implementors confronted with circumstances which do not allow them to adhere to the security considerations should create an appropriate security design based on the threat model and security considerations document.

regards,
Torsten.

=nat

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Igor Faynberg