On casual reading of "The OAuth 2.0 Authorization Protocol: Bearer
Tokens"* I've encountered several people (including myself) who have
made the assumption that the name b64token implies that some kind of
base64 encoding/decoding on the access token is taking place between
the client and RS.

Digging a bit deeper in to "HTTP/1.1, part 7: Authentication"**,
however, I see that b64token is just an ABNF syntax definition
allowing for characters typically used in base64, base64url, etc.. So
the b64token doesn't define any encoding or decoding but rather just
defines what characters can be used in the part of the Authorization
header that will contain the access token.

Do I read this correctly?

If so, I feel like some additional clarifying text in the Bearer
Tokens draft might help avoid what is (based on my small sample) a
common point of misunderstanding.

Also, does the use of b64token implicitly limit the allowed characters
that an AS can use to construct a bearer access token?

Thanks,
Brian

* http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-v2-bearer-17#section-2.1
** http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p7-auth-18#section-2.1