From: "Lewis Adam-CAL022" <adam.le...@motorolasolutions.com>
Date: Sat, Jun 2, 2012 12:00 am
Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Inter-domain AS/RS communication (revisited)
To: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>

Hi all,

I’ve asked about the lack of standardization of the AS-RS interface in the
past, but I have a new twist on my question.  What is the viability of
performing user “authentication” using OAuth with an RS in domain-1, and a
whole bunch of AS’s in different domains (assuming that the RS and AS is of the
same implementation)?

            RS (domain-1)

AS-1     AS-2     AS-3     AS-4     AS-5     AS-6     AS-n

Let me explain a bit further.  I have a RS in domain-1 which exposes an API,
which is accessed by a native client, with users from (for example) 12
different domains.  (Note: both the RS and native clients are of the same
vendor implementation).  Each of the 12 user domains has an AS, of the same
implementation as the RS in domain-1.  I’m thinking that native client users
from domain X should be able to authenticate to the AS in their home domain
using some primary authentication means, obtain an unstructured access-token,
and present that access-token to the RS in domain-1.  Because they are all of
the same implementation, the RS in domain-1 should be able to make a RESTful
API call to the AS in domain X to obtain a JSON structure, containing among
other things, the user’s name, and possibly other attributes.  Hence secondary
authentication has been realized.

This seems to work, but is this within the spirit of OAuth, or have I gone off
into LaLa land?  We have looked at using the SAML bearer assertion profile for
OAuth, but we do a lot over wireless links, many of which are bandwidth anemic,
and the overhead of obtaining the SAML assertion and sending it are making me a
bit squeamish.  OAuth is attractive because of its light weight-ness.  Is the
usage I’m proposing of OAuth (above) something that would be within the overall
spirit of the OAuth framework?

Tx!
adam