Phil

@independentid
www.independentid.com
phil.h...@oracle.com

On 2012-07-03, at 2:12 PM, Brian Campbell wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback Phil.
>
> In the case of §2.1, "Using SAML Assertions as Authorization Grants"
> the intent was to allow for such a SAML grant to be used with or
> without client authentication. Whether or not client authentication is
> required (and what type of authentication) would be a
> deployment/policy decision of the AS. But both are possible from the
> spec.

Yes. This makes sense. However in light of the recent discussion about bearer
codes and tokens I'm a little more nervous of convolving the grant and client
authentication together. It's really the token server that should properly
authenticate the client and obscuring that act by combining in a single grant
may serve to confuse. There is also the issue of offering too many choices.

Just an opinion, but I can live with your suggestion that grant can be used
alone.

> In the case of §2.2, "Using SAML Assertions for Client
> Authentication", yes it's just providing an alternative method of
> client authentication beyond what's specified in §2.3 of core. It
> doesn't really do anything on its own and must be used in conjunction
> with the grant_type parameter.
>
> I'll take a stab at some clarifying text and/or examples for those
> points of confusion. Suggestions are, of course, welcome too.

Works for me.