Apologies for a noise on it, however I'd like to get some more clarifications on it.

What I thought first about the refresh grant was that a client would use it for getting a new access token back after it gets a 401 back from PR.

Next after seeing the comments from others it became obvious the refresh grant can be used to pro-actively refresh the existing token when the client realizes - this is what I'm really going to ask about.

I also learned about the fact a refresh grant can effectively be used to clone the existing token - I'd like to avoid talking about this case in this thread, even I got it wrong with the term 'clone' :-)

So, as far as the refresh token grant is concerned, the grant which is 'supported' by the core spec, what are the expectations of the client
which request to refresh a still valid access token ?

I got a bit confused by the feedback that it may be per-AS specific.
If it were the expectation then I'd not see the difference between the core spec "refresh_token" grant and "a.b.c" custom grant.

It seems reasonable that if the client does decide to be proactive and use a refresh grant without using any optional scopes, and specifically with the main and only purpose to refresh the access token which may get expired shortly, it should predictably get a new access token with a new time lease...

And which means the old token must've gone by now and effectively revoked. This exactly what the client means, get me a new refreshed token...

I've checked the token revocation grant. It's obviously a good idea to let the client directly interact with the endpoint and remove whatever token it want to remove. However, a refresh token request (without a scope parameter) should have the same side-effect

Does it make any sense at all ?

Thanks, Sergey