Those are common steps for obtaining an assertion from an STS but the only
possibly way. The assertion framework document doesn't or shouldn't impose
any requirements or restrictions on how the client obtains an assertion.
Two common ways are discussed as examples but they are by no means indeed
to constrain clients from doing something else.