Agreed that REST purity may come at a cost that's too high. On the other hand,
it's a useful exercise to imagine how much more benefit could potentially be
gotten "for free" if we look at it through a pure-REST lens, not just with
what's already been specified but the whole picture.

If what you're registering is a client descriptor, then creating a new one,
updating an existing one, deleting, and even patching could come for free if
something like the following framework is used:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pbryan-http-json-resource-03

With standard libraries possibly floating around to support this framework (I
think Paul B wrote one; maybe he open-sourced it?), it starts to become a lot
cheaper to support client registration on both sides of the interaction.

        Eve