It validates the token, which would be either the token itself in the case of Bearer or the token "id" part of something more complex like MAC. It doesn't directly validate the usage of the token, that's still up to the PR to do that.

I nearly added a "token type" field in this draft, but held back because there are several kinds of "token type" that people talk about in OAuth. First, there's "Bearer" vs. "MAC" vs. "HOK", or what have you. Then within Bearer you have "JWT" or "SAML" or "unstructured blob". Then you've also got "access" vs. "refresh" and other flavors of token, like the id_token in OpenID Connect.

Thing is, the server running the introspection endpoint will probably know *all* of these. But should it tell the client? If so, which of the three, and what names should the fields be?

 -- Justin