Hiya,

On 05/13/2013 09:04 AM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
> Hi all,
> the OpenID Connect had gained some experience with using version control
> systems
> for editing specifications (and the use of issue trackers), see
> http://openid.bitbucket.org/. Based on a recent discussion in the IETF (among
> the working group chairs) I am wondering what your experience is with those
> tools and whether you see value in using these tools for document editing in
> the
> OAuth working group.

Sounds like a fine plan if the wg want to try it. Only thing I'd
note is that it means editors need to be *very* careful to bring
discussion back to the wg list when that's needed, since you will
likely get comments in the version control environment that are
not cc'd to the wg list. (The IETF will be considering generic
solutions for that, if you're interested get involved with the
tools team.) In turn, I suspect that means that wg chairs need
to make sure there's an editor who really gets when a change needs
to be discussed on the list and when its ok to just fix a typo.

The httpbis wg have some experience doing this btw and have hit
that specific issue of comments being made on github but not the
list. There's a recent thread [1] that ends with good advice from
the wg chair.

And in case someone asks, reasons why we need the wg list cc'd
include open-ness and to be clear as to what's an IETF
contribution. There're probably more but these are enough;-)

Cheers,
S.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2013AprJun/0334.html