Hmm. I think this issue is self evident to the developer

If they have obtained a client id through developer registration (current
typical oauth) they are good to go.

IOW If you have a client id issued out of band you are good to go.

Otherwise look for dyn reg or some other method. This likely happens where
clients connect to apis and/or protocols deployed by many service providers  eg
OIDC. An emerging example I heard at ietf london was interest in adapting oauth
to non web protocols like smtp, imap, pop and even jabber.

Phil