Hi Hannnes,

Yes, so in terms of well-defined specs for HTTP request signing, there is
basically AWS, OAuth 1.0a HMAC, and the OAuth 2.0 draft HMAC stuff which is
looking a bit abandoned.

The v2 and v4 signing processes for AWS are documented here.
[1] http://docs.aws.amazon.com/general/latest/gr/signature-version-2.html
[2] http://docs.aws.amazon.com/general/latest/gr/signature-version-4.html

Looking at the slides you sent, my colleague Scott and I have been working
on something running along the same lines. This has largely been for
internal use, but we have had our eye on a design with general utility.

So far we have been working to clearly define *only* how HTTP requests can
be authenticated using a JWT/JWS, independent of the issues of key
distribution and sessions (an OAuth2 extension is one option for sessions /
key agreement, but there are obviously other ways).

We actually have a spec and proof of concept in progress for JWS based
request signing. We do need some time to clean up the spec for public
consumption, but would you be interested in seeing that?

Thanks,

    Blair.

---- Long form details below here -----

Our view is that request authentication (mac/signature) and the session (or
key agreement) mechanisms needed to support it are largely orthogonal.

We have been working to specify a mechanism for authenticating HTTP
requests using JWT/JWS. (The tokens look just like JWTs, but it is better
to specify on top of JWS).

Our approach was that the client computes a "signature base string" or
"string to sign" in a fashion very similar to AWS v2, while adding header
signing similar to that in AWS v4. This fixes a gap in the OAuth 1.0a HMAC
token spec.

The client then embeds a digest of the "signature base string" in a JWS
signed by the client, along with several other required fields (e.g. a
field identifying the requestor, optional key id, expiry, list of signed
http headers, ...) to authenticate the request.

The nice thing about embedding the request digest in a JWT/JWS signed
payload is that you get all the flexibility of JWS in terms of algorithms.

Also, the implementation also comes out very nice, since you need just
string processing of the request to get a canonical version plus a digest
operation - and the "hard crypto stuff" can be handled by a JWS library.

However, there are some constraints in terms of practicality using the JWS
standard (not insurmountable, but there):

1. RSA - A client with a private key can easily RSA-sign HTTP requests, but
the Authorization: header will be several hundred bytes long due to the
size of the RSA signature. Speed is high, but so is bandwidth required.

2. ECDSA - ECDSA produces much smaller payloads (few hundred bytes) but
requires much more processing effort (order of milliseconds).

3. HMAC - A shared HMAC key will be the most efficient in terms of speed &
storage, but requires additional session establishment dance which is
slightly less elegant than a client using a private key directly.

Request authorisation using a private key directly works well for
server-to-server or "big client" to server, but not so well for mobile with
power and bandwidth constraints. In this case, the approach we are taking
for a client to bootstrap from possession of a private key is to send an
RSA signed request to establish a shared HMAC key, then use HMAC signed
requests.

Thanks & regards,

    Blair.

--
Blair Strang | Senior Security Engineer
Covata | Own Your Data

Level 4 156 Clarence Street | Sydney NSW 2000
© 2014 CDHL parent company for all Covata entities