policy_uri came down from OpenID Connect Dynamic Client Registraiton 1.0
[1].

It goes:

policy_uriOPTIONAL. URL that the Relying Party Client provides to the
End-User to read about the how the profile data will be used. The value of
this field MUST point to a valid web page. The OpenID Provider SHOULD
display this URL to the End-User if it is given. If desired, representation
of this Claim in different languages and scripts is represented as
described in Section 2.1
<http://openid.bitbucket.org/openid-connect-registration-1_0.html#LanguagesAndScripts>
.

It is clearly privacy related. In fact, it used to be a part of OpenID
Connect Core in which the RP had to send it to obtain the permission. It is
optional only because in certain enterprise type setting, it is
unnecessary. In the consumer case, I regard it as essential. In any case,
this is something a trust framework should set as its rule, and not the
protocol itself.

The draft -18 text goes:

policy_uri
      URL that points to a human-readable Policy document for the
      client.  The authorization server SHOULD display this URL to the
      end-user if it is given.  The policy usually describes how an end-
      user's data will be used by the client.  The value of this field
      MUST point to a valid web page.  The value of this field MAY be
      internationalized, as described in Section 2.2
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg-18#section-2.2>.

It has been converted to be a bit vague. I would +1 to tighten it up. Note
that there is tos_uri to describe the Terms of Service by the client and
poicy_uri is not intended for this purpose but only for the
service/client's privacy policy.

BTW, I just found that a lot of text are more or less the duplicate or
re-statement of [1]. IMHO, it should try to refer the original document
where possible as it is a referable standard, and put [1] in the Reference
section as well.

Best,

Nat

[1] http://openid.net/specs/openid-connect-registration-1_0.html

> Hi all,
>
> two earlier reviews I have noticed that the policy_uri meta-data
> attribute is not correctly specified. I offered a suggestion and in both
> cases my request was ignored.
>
> Maybe there is a reason to reject my request but I am uncertain about
> the relationship with another meta-data attribute, the terms-of-service
> attribute.
>
> Here is what I said in my last review:
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/oauth/current/msg12879.html
>
> "
> policy_uri: In my previous review I argued that the right terminology
> here is privacy notice and you can even re-use the IAPP terminology.
> Unless the policy URI has nothing to do with privacy I would prefer this
> terminology change. If you disagree I would prefer to have a
> description about what policy means in this context.
> "
>
> Could you guys explain?
>
> Ciao
> Hannes