I suppose authors has imported one of the security feature of OpenID
Connect here as well. In the Dynamic Client Registration standard, which is
a bit longer than IETF version. You can see the reason from it:

application_typeOPTIONAL. Kind of the application. The default, if omitted,
is web. The defined values are native or web. Web Clients using the OAuth
Implicit Grant Type MUST only register URLs using the https scheme as
redirect_uris; they MUST NOT use localhost as the hostname. Native Clients
MUST only register redirect_uris using custom URI schemes or URLs using the
http: scheme with localhost as the hostname. Authorization Servers MAY
place additional constraints on Native Clients. Authorization Servers MAY
reject Redirection URI values using the http scheme, other than the
localhost case for Native Clients. The Authorization Server MUST verify
that all the registered redirect_uris conform to these constraints. This
prevents sharing a Client ID across different types of Clients.

Regards,

Nat

> Hi all,
>
> with version -18 you guys have added a new meta-data attribute, namely
> application_type.
>
> First, this new attribute is not listed in the IANA consideration section.
>
> Second, could you provide a bit of motivation why you need it? What
> would the authorization server do with that type of information? The
> description is rather short.
>
> IMHO there is also no clear boundary between a "native" and "web" app.
> Just think about smart phone apps that are developed using JavaScript.
> Would this be a web app or a native app?
>
> Here is the definition from the draft:
>
> application_type
>       OPTIONAL.  Kind of the application.  The default, if omitted, is
>       "web".  The defined values are "native" or "web".
>
> Ciao
> Hannes

Nat Sakimura (=nat)
Chairman, OpenID Foundation