I thought I had sent this note already, but I don't see it in the archives or in my 'sent' folder:

If we're going to point to OpenID Connect (which I'm fine with), then we should clarify that portions were also taken from the UMA specification. In fact, draft -00 actually *was* the UMA specification text entirely. This is also what the OpenID Connect registration specification was (loosely) based on when it was started.

In reality, the relationship between these three documents from three different SBO's is more complicated: they all grew up together and effectively merged to become wire-compatible with each other. There were a number of changes that were discussed here in the IETF that OpenID Connect adopted, and a number of changes that were discussed at OIDF that were adopted here. OIDC also extends the IETF draft with a set of OIDC-specific metadata fields and editorial language that makes it fit more closely in the OIDC landscape, but make no mistake: they're the same protocol. In the case of UMA, it's a straight normative reference to the IETF document now because we were able to incorporate those use cases and parameters directly.

The trouble is, I'm not sure how to concisely state that all that in the draft text, but it's not as simple as "we copied OpenID", which is what the text below seems to say.

 -- Justin