First, I’ll say that I appreciate Brian also working on this topic.  This is
important for many multi-actor use cases and it would be good for OAuth to
develop a standard in this area.  I also agree with the discussion on the list
that having some use case descriptions and concrete examples could help
developers know how to do token exchange in an interoperable way.  We should do
that going forward.

I just skimmed through Brian’s document.  I agree with the thrust of a lot of.
Much of it is equivalent to parts of draft-jones-oauth-token-exchange – albeit
with different syntax.  However, it seems to be missing the ability to
represent statements about who is eligible to act for who, as is enabled by
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jones-oauth-token-exchange-01#section-4.
Also, I’m not sure I’m comfortable overloading the access_token Token Endpoint
response to convey the returned security token, since in the general case, the
security token is not an access token.  All of those are the kinds of details
that the working group will get to decide on, so I’m not all that hung up on
them right now.

As a way forward, I’d actually propose that we accept
draft-jones-oauth-token-exchange as a starting point for the working group
document – as the hum in Toronto seemed to say that we would – but that we add
Brian as a co-author of it.  I’m comfortable working with Brian as a co-editor
and we have a good track record of doing productive work together – including
the nearly finished OAuth Assertions specifications.

I’d also privately communicated to Brian that I see my current document as a
starting point for the work and not something in final form and that I’d be
happy to work with him to make sure that his use cases are accommodated and
that it’s clear to developers how and when to use token exchange.

                                                            Best wishes,
                                                            -- Mike