On 16/10/14 22:39, Brian Campbell wrote:
> Hiya in return and inline below...
>
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 3:00 PM, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farr...@cs.tcd.ie>
> wrote:
>

>> Hmm. So the SAML one only seems to have RSA-SHA1 as the MTI and the
>> JOSE one has only H256 as required.
>>
>> Doesn't that seem like one is unacceptably old and the other
>> is not great for this purpose?
>>

> Admittedly, I was a little worried you'd say that :)

I'm glad we're not surprising one another:-)

>> My suggestion would be to add rsa-sha256 as MTI for these, as an
>> addition to whatever JOSE and SAML make MTI. But I'd be happy to
>> clear if you made any modern signature alg MTI.
>>

> Honestly, in my view, an MIT on these doesn't make a whole lot of sense as
> I think what's actually implemented/supported will be dictated by the
> larger deployments of SAML/SAMLP or JWT/JOSE/OpenID Connect. My feeling is
> that an MIT in these specs would likely be ignored and/or not influence
> implementers/deployers. So my preference would be to leave MTI out of these.
>
> But if you're not swayed by that line of thinking, and I'm guessing you're
> not, rsa-sha256 is probably the most appropriate choice. Could you give
> some guidance and/or point to examples of where and how to say that
> appropriately in the documents? Thanks!

Sure, I'd say probably best is for the jwt one to say that RS256
MUST be supported and for the saml one say that [1] MUST be
supported. (Check [2] for rsa-sha256 for some text)

A sentence in each is all's needed.

Cheers,
S.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmldsig-more#rsa-sha256