I think this part of sec 3 of assertions states that:

 The protocol parameters and processing rules defined in this document
   are intended to support a client presenting a bearer assertion to an
   authorization server.  The use of holder-of-key assertions are not
   precluded by this document, but additional protocol details would
   need to be specified.

As part of defining the additional protocol details for holder-of-key/PoP we
can relax the must for audience in the profile that defines how to use those
assertion types.

John B.