Thomas, thanks for the review. Responses inline.

On Dec 2, 2014, at 11:08 AM, Thomas Broyer
<t.bro...@gmail.com<mailto:t.bro...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi,

Here are some notes about draft-ietf-oauth-introspection-01.
Background: I have implemented and deployed -00 (actually that was some version
of the individual draft, before it got adopted by the WG), currently with only
a couple "clients" (out of 20 or so OAuth 2.0 clients currently, only a couple
expose resources themselves and thus need the introspection endpoint; we
otherwise have many resources exposed by the same piece of software as the AS
so they use internal means of validating the token without the need for the
introspection endpoint).

   resource_id  OPTIONAL.  A service-specific string identifying the
      resource that the token is being used for.  This value allows the

      protected resource to convey to the authorization server the
      context in which the token is being used at the protected
      resource, allowing the authorization server to tailor its response
      accordingly if desired.

I think it should be noted somewhere that it's totally OK for the introspection
endpoint to tailor the response to the resource server making the request too,
independently of whether there's a resource_id or not. With "tailoring the
response" meaning that it could return active:false even if the token is active
but the AS doesn't want the RS to know about it (because, for example, it knows
that the token doesn't grant any scope that the RS accepts, and therefore
couldn't be used at the RS), or limiting the returned list of scopes to the
ones the AS knows the RS handles.

This is very true, we should call that out explicitly in the description of the
response. Thanks!

As far as resource_id is concerned, I really think an example would make things
clearer (what kind of value could be used in a real scenario, etc. – there's
been a mail earlier today assuming it would be a URL, which I assume to mean
the URL of the resource that received the token and needs to introspect it to
allow access or not; my interpretation of the draft initially was that it would
rather be identifiers as can be seen for scopes, or a resource-set ID
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hardjono-oauth-resource-reg-03> )

My thought on this was that it would be the URL in many cases, but I want to
keep it as a generic string to allow for resource sets or other identifying
mechanisms. This is going to have to be something that's agreed on between the
AS and RS if it's going to mean anything. I agree on adding it to at least one
of the examples.

   The methods of managing and
   validating these authentication credentials are out of scope of this
   specification, though it is RECOMMENDED that these credentials be
   distinct from those used at an authorization server's token endpoint.

and later in the Security Considerations section:

   The authorization server SHOULD issue credentials to any
   protected resources that need to access the introspection endpoint,
   SHOULD require protected resources to be specifically authorized to
   call the introspection endpoint, and SHOULD NOT allow a single piece
   of software acting as both a client and a protected resource to re-
   use the same credentials between the token endpoint and the
   introspection endpoint.

Could you expand on the RECOMMENDED and SHOULD NOT here?
What would be the problem with using the same credentials? What's the trade-off?

Different credentials for different purposes, and it lets you manage things
separately at the server. In other words, you've got one class of thing that
*gets* tokens, and one class of thing that *accepts* tokens. The dynamic
resource registration draft doesn't presume client credentials at all, since a
resource might not (and in many cases is not) also an OAuth client. This draft
even uses tokens to authorize its calls to the introspection endpoint, which
was suggested as MTI in another thread.

Additionally, and this may be getting unnecessarily colored by our own
implementation and deployment of pre-WG drafts: we have it currently
implemented such that both are clients (and Ping does something similar with
their own method of accomplishing the same thing), and we want to start to keep
these classes separate. We've found that developers get confused about whether
they're a client or a resource or whatnot as it is. This recommendation helps
keep the roles separate logically, though servers are of course free to throw
everyone in the same bucket if they so choose.

   The response MAY be cached by the protected resource, and the
   authorization server SHOULD communicate appropriate cache controls
   using applicable HTTP headers.

Reading through https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7234 (and
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7231), it's not clear to me how cache headers
would really help, given that the requests to the introspection endpoint are
mostly using the POST method ("optionally" a GET method, and the Security
Considerations section somehow discourages it).
You'd want to check with the HTTPWG but maybe this text should define what the
cache-key would be (it would at least include the token and resource_id if
provided, maybe also the token_type_hint), and that the response SHOULD NOT
have Cache-Control:public or even s-maxage (for the same reason that it should
be protected by authentication).
I'd actually rather say that the RS may cache the response (we're talking about
an "application-level cache" here, not an HTTP cache), and probably should do
it for a small amount of time; and possibly (not sure how well that would fit
here) hint that the AS could very well return an HTTP 429 (Too Many Requests)
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6585> if it somehow detects that the RS doesn't
use a (application-level) cache (e.g. asks many times for the same token in a
very short time frame). This is the kind of things I could very well add to my
implementation later on if we ever see a very high number of requests on our
introspection endpoint (because looking up a key-value store using the token as
key is much faster than validating the token – our tokens are base64url-encoded
JSON structures containing an ID and a salt, and we store the ID and a hash in
our datastore; validating a token thus involves decoding base64url, parsing
JSON and computing a hash, in addition to looking it up in the datastore and
validating "iat" and "exp").

All that we're really trying to say here is that the protected resource is
allowed to cache the response if it wants to, and that the AS could give some
hints as to how to do it. I can pull out the HTTP-cache-mechanism language if
it's just confusing the matter (which I suspect it is). In one deployment
profile I've written of this, we say that the RS can cache the introspection
result for up to half the token lifetime, given by the 'exp' claim (which we
also require in the profile).

   If the protected resource uses OAuth 2.0 client credentials to
   authenticate to the introspection endpoint and its credentials are
   invalid, the authorization server responds with an HTTP 400 (Bad
   Request) as described in section
5.2<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-introspection-01#section-5.2>
of OAuth 2.0 [RFC6749<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6749>].

Either I don't understand what "OAuth 2.0 client credentials" actually means,
or that section should mention HTTP 401 (Unauthorized).
(we use HTTP Basic auth FWIW so, per the HTTP spec, we return a 401 for bad
credentials).

   If the protected resource uses an OAuth 2.0 bearer token to authorize
   its call to the introspection endpoint and the token used for
   authorization does not contain sufficient privileges or is otherwise
   invalid for this request, the authorization server responds with an
   HTTP 400 code as described in section
3<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-introspection-01#section-3> of
OAuth 2.0 Bearer Token
   Usage [RFC6750<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6750>].

Same here; unless you use the "Form-Encoded Body Parameter" or "URL Query
Parameter" means of sending a Bearer token, the status code would be a 401.
BTW, if an introspection endpoint MAY support those means of authenticating a
RS, then it should be more clearly stated in the draft that it is allowed and
left at the discretion of the implementation. As an implementer, unless I'm
told that I could use access_token in the request body, I would assume only the
Authorization header is accepted.

Noted, I'll change these to 401.

Thanks very much!
 -- Justin