Hi
On 06/03/15 18:28, Justin Richer wrote:
All you’re really doing here is having a more manual and less automated portion
for part of the process. You’d want to do this using a registered redirect URI
that hosts the HTML page, and then you’d need a control in the app itself where
the user could interact.

I would personally recommend using this approach to move an authorization code
manually instead of moving an access token. Assuming your client can access the
auth server directly (using the backchannel, no browser), you should be able to
POST to the token endpoint and get the token directly without the user having
to handle it. The reason being that auth codes are client-limited and much more
time-limited, and their leakage doesn’t immediately lead to leakage of API
access.

Right now this is what I'm considering, whether to restrict it to the client getting the tokens itself, with the inserted code, or indirectly, after the user does it. We already support the former for public clients, I guess in the latter case a token will also be linked to a client because a user will enter a client id when requesting a token.

Just not sure yet if a 3rd party client will be 'prepared' as you say to interact directly with AS, I guess it will be given that it is expected it should be able to refresh...

We had a similar approach with a limited client back in the OAuth 1.0 days,
where we had an HTML page that would print the oauth_verify code on the screen
that the user would type into the application. These days, on most platforms,
it’s much easier to register a custom URL handler or use another system service
to get the code directly that this hack has all but disappeared, at least in my
view.

Can you give me a favor and clarify a bit what you mean when referring to a registered URL handler ? A user signs in, requests a code or a token for a specific client, AS returns it to the user directly. I guess it can redirect the user to some other web application which is where the user will interact and get the code or token. What a registered URL handler can change in this process, make it more automated ? (I understand working with the code is better in general...)

Thanks, Sergey

  — Justin