Hi Josh,

I'm not aware of a common practice to use such a parameter. The WG is instead heading towards authenticated requests to the resource server (see https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6819#section-5.4.2).

Please take a look onto http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-pop-architecture and further drafts on this topic.

kind regards,
Torsten.

Am 03.03.2015 um 18:27 schrieb Josh Mandel:
Hi All,

In section 4.6.4 ("Threat: Access Token Phishing by Counterfeit Resource Server"), RFC6819 describes a threat where a counterfeit resource server tricks a client into obtaining and sharing an access token from a legitimate authorization server. One of the proposed mitigations involves: "telling the authorization server about the resource server endpoint URL in the authorization process."

In other words, this mitigation would ask the client to pass an additional parameter when redirecting to the Authorization server's "authorize" URL, effectively something like:

https://auth-server/authorize?
response_type=code&
client_id=123&
state=456&
scope=read-all&
redirect_uri=https://app-server/after-auth&;
*resource_server_that_told_me_to_authorize_here=https://attacker.com*
*
*
(And if the authorization server saw a value it didn't like in the final parameter, it would reject the request.)

This is obviously not appropriate in every authorization scenario, but it is useful anytime there's a discovery process by which apps learn about authorization servers from resource servers. Since it's something of a common need, I wanted to see if there was any common practice in how to name this parameter, or whether it's worth registering a standard extension at http://www.iana.org/assignments/oauth-parameters/oauth-parameters.xhtml . (I don't see one there now -- possibly I'm just missing it.)

If so, what should it be called? The name I used in the example above is a bit verbose :-)

Best,

  Josh