I have a draft with Barry’s edits less the removal of ASCII(string) ready to go.

In JWS we used ASCII(string) to indicate that the output is a sequence of
octets, strings are not necessarily 8 characters bits and may have null
termination etc.

However as Brian states other changes may have removed the need for that.

I admit saying "where STRING is a sequence of zero or more ASCII characters.”
looks a bit circular.   How about saying "where STRING is a sequence of zero or
more characters”

The ABNF in Sec 4.1 should keep people from going too wrong on its own.

I think it is OK the way it is, but am willing to change it if people feel
strongly.

Let me know if I should make that change or publish a draft without it,
addressing the other comments.

John B.