Remember tools is not using the XML to render the HTML directly, it is marking
up the text version.   This bites me all the time as well.

The text version needs to render to “Section 3.3 of RFC 6749” to get Rfcmarkup
tool <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/rfcmarkup/index> to render it correctly.

The trailing of OAuth 2.0 messes up Rfcmarkup.

I am looking at fixing PIXE for the RFC editor so this happens to be a current
issue for me, as I did the same thing because that is what produces the best
HTML output from XML2RFC.

What I have learned is to NOT format looking at the html output from XML2RFC as
it leads you in the wrong direction,  output as text then run through Rfcmarkup
to see what the version on the document tracker will look like.

Hope this saves you some time.

John B.