I understand how they work, I’ve built exactly that cache before. But I
askWouldn’t a unique timestamp have the same effect? Currently it’s integer
seconds but slicing that down further (floating point seconds?) if people
desired would allow for multiple signed messages in the same second from the
same client using the otherwise same parameters.

“Other protocols do it” is not a compelling reason on its own, especially when
the example of “other protocols” includes WS-* ;)

Seriously though, an optional nonce is easy to add to the draft if there’s
enough WG support, I’m just hesitant to add more complexity than needed to this.

 — Justin