What you describe as your minimum case is what I intended to be the minimum case for this document. I opted to put the token inside the payload instead of a hash because then we wouldn't need an additional header to carry the token, and the client wouldn't be required to do an additional crypto operation outside of the JOSE process.

 -- Justin