I think the implication is that the server-side would use something like OIDC
to the token server in order to establish the identity of the user. The
difference is that this would be driven from the server-side piece of the
application, as any other normal server-side client would. The result would
then simply be a cookie-based authentication session in the client, and any JS
code would leverage the http only, same-site cookie for Ajax calls.

-Brock