Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by "client-cert". If you meant the
proxy client certificate, then that is obviously not enough. You seem to
suggest that you meant the remote client certificate to be installed on the
proxy to be used with the backend system; if this is the case, then this
would work and you would not need the signature, but the issue I see with
this approach is that you need to reconfigure the proxy every time you
change the client certificate, which is not practical if the certificate is
short lived.

Regards,
 Rifaat