On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 11:02:33PM +0200, Vladimir Dzhuvinov wrote:

> On 14/01/2020 19:20, Takahiko Kawasaki wrote:
> > Well, embedding a client_id claim in the JWE header in order to
> > achieve "request parameters outside the request object should not be
> > referred to" is like "putting the cart before the horse". Why do we
> > have to avoid using the traditional client_id request parameter so
> > stubbornly?
> >
> > The last paragraph of Section 3.2.1
> > <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6749#section-3.2.1> of RFC 6749 says
> > as follows.
> >
> >     /A client MAY use the "client_id" request parameter to identify
> >     itself when sending requests to the token endpoint.  In the
> >     "authorization_code" "grant_type" request to the token endpoint,
> >     *an unauthenticated client MUST send its "client_id" to prevent
> >     itself from inadvertently accepting a code intended for a client
> >     with a different "client_id".*  This protects the client from
> >     substitution of the authentication code.  (It provides no
> >     additional security for the protected resource.)/
> >

> > If the same reasoning applies, a client_id must always be sent with
> > request / request_uri because client authentication is not performed
> > at the authorization endpoint. In other words, */an unauthenticated
> > client (every client is unauthenticated at the authorization endpoint)
> > MUST send its "client_id" to prevent itself from inadvertently
> > accepting a request object for a client with a different "client_id"./*
> >
> Identifying the client in JAR request_uri requests can be really useful
> so that an AS which requires request_uri registration to prevent DDoS
> attacks and other checks can do those without having to index all
> request_uris individually. I mentioned this before.
>
> I really wonder what the reasoning of the IESG reviewers was to insist
> on no params outside the JAR JWT / request_uri.
>
> I'm beginning to realise this step of the review process isn't
> particularly transparent to WG members.

Could you expand on that a bit more?  My understanding is that the IESG
ballot mail gets copied to the WG precisely so that there is transparency,
e.g., the thread starting at
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/oauth/lkOhwiDj_hCI55BQRdiR9R0JwgI
Which admittely is from almost three years ago, but that's the earliest
that I found that could be seen as the source of this behavior.

-Ben

P.S. some other discussion at
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/oauth/-tUrNY1X9eI_tQGI8T-IGx4xHy8 and
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/oauth/Uke1nxRlgx62EJLevZgpWCz_UwY and