On 17 Jan 2020, at 03:58, Benjamin Kaduk <ka...@mit.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 04:31:30PM +0000, Neil Madden wrote:
>> The mitigations of 10.4.1 are related, but the section heading is about
>> (D)DoS attacks. I think this heading needs to be reworded to apply to SSRF
>> attacks too or else add another section with similar mitigations.
>>
>> Mitigation (a) is a bit vague as to what an "unexpected location" is.
>> Perhaps specific wording that it should be a URI that has been
>> pre-registered for the client (and validated at that time) or is otherwise
>> known to be safe (e.g., is a URI scheme controlled by the AS itself as with
>> PAR).
>
> pedantic nit: "URI scheme" is probably not what we want, as the authority
> component of the URI (per RFC 3986) seems more likely to match "controlled
> by the AS itself"

Well that's what actually I wanted to prevent. The authority component may
refer to services *owned by* the AS (e.g. related microservices) but the
authority component of a URI is not under the control of the AS - anybody can
put whatever they like in there either from guessing likely hostnames or
looking them up in things like certificate transparency logs. Compare that to
something like x-request-id:<random-uuid> where the AS has complete control
over the address space.

As Nat requested, I'll try and come up with some wording in a pull request that
captures the issue in a more general way.

-- Neil