I’m not sure what you’re asking — the text is not left over from anything and
is intentionally included. That text is saying that if I leave out the field
then the server treats it just like as if I had sent in a null value. So the
following are equivalent:

{
  “client_name”: “foo”,
  “tos_uri”: null
}

And

{
  “client_name”: “foo”,
}

In both cases, it’s a signal that the client is removing the value from the
“tos_uri” field. It does not mean that the AS leaves the “tos_uri” field with
the value that it previously was (ie, a PATCH style request).

The AS can reject the update request if it doesn’t want to allow the client to
blank out that field, for whatever reason.

 — Justin