> Keep in mind that while the Security BCP explicitly forbids the use of the
> Password grant in OAuth 2.0, technically OAuth 2.1 just never includes it in
> the first place. Subtle difference.

As RFC 6749 clearly targets third-party applications, ROPC never has been a
good fit.  It always felt like a bad workaround just for legacy applications.

I am primarily looking at OAuth 2.1 from a developer's perspective.
Unfortunately, developers often look for a shortcut and the easiest way to
implement a required use case.

You can find many entries on StackOverflow directing developers to use ROPC
instead of a "complicated" redirection flow.

Frameworks like Spring Security or Angular clearly follow a "secure by default"
approach, this may also be a good direction to follow in future specifications.

As Jim already pointed out, I also consider the ROPC being an authentication
flow (for trusted first-party applications) and this use case is covered by
OIDC.

Same as for PKCE an AS may still provide ROPC in an OAuth 2.0 compatibility
mode to not break existing apps.

That is why I support OAuth 2.1 omitting ROPC.

Andreas Falk