> There is no specific mechanism right now.
> But future developers won’t be able to read the reason why the extension
> point is given only for confidential clients.

This is not a compelling argument.

The current situation is that we know of a handful of threats and attacks,
we know that PKCE solves them for both confidential and public clients, and
we also believe that OpenID Connect has solved one of the threats for
confidential clients a different way. The reason this conversation is
happening at all is because we want to make sure that OpenID Connect can
continue to solve that problem its own way outside of OAuth without
conflicting with OAuth.

It's not useful to anyone to leave extension points open for hypothetical
solutions later when we already know of a solution that works for public
clients. At that point that should just be a new spec.

Aaron Parecki