On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 09:21:45AM -0700, RFC Errata System wrote:
>  --VERIFIER NOTES--
> Errata reports are for reporting issues with the authoritative RFC version(s)
> as published by the RFC Editor.  RFC 8176 predates the usage of the "v3 XML"
> format, so the plain text version is the authoritative one, and thus
> questions of HTML links are irrelevant for it.

For what it's worth, this "bad HTML link" situation occurs with some
regularity -- the "html" versions of non-v3-XML RFCs are created by running
a script over the text version.  The script uses heuristics to convert
certain types of text into links, and "Section <N>" gets expanded to this
document unless followed by "of RFC <Y>".  I believe this script is
open-source and patches would be welcome, though I don't know the location
of the source-code repository in question off the top of my head.

-Ben