On 01/03/2021 10:44 Vittorio Bertola
<vittorio.bert...@open-xchange.com<mailto:vittorio.bert...@open-xchange.com>>
wrote:

> Il 26/02/2021 17:32 Aaron Parecki
> <aa...@parecki.com<mailto:aa...@parecki.com>> ha scritto:

>> Dynamic client registration does exist in OAuth:
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7591

>> The point is that basically nobody uses it because they don't want to allow
>> arbitrary client registration at their ASs. That's likely due to a
>> combination of pre-registration being the default model in OAuth for so long
>> (the Dynamic Client Registration draft was published several years after
>> OAuth 2.0), as well as how large corporations have decided to run their ASs
>> where they want to have (what feels like) more control over the things
>> talking to their servers.

> This is indeed a matter of product design. I am active in an OIDC-based open
> identity project where the specs say that providers MUST accept dynamic
> client registration, without a pre-determined client secret. This is the only
> way to create a federation that can work on an Internet scale, with relying
> parties accepting identities managed by providers unknown to them. Then, of
> course, this also creates lots of opportunities for abuse: you end up in an
> email-like scenario in which you need ways to ascertain trust in unknown
> parties and decide whether you want to accept interoperating with them and
> believe the information they provide, which in turn depends a lot on your
> specific use case. But we think that that is preferrable to the
> centralization that is inherent in the original registration model.

I wonder whether proposed standards should be assessed for their negative
properties, eg whether they are likely to exacerbate centralisation, much like
security aspects are reviewed.  It may be that a given proposal might still go
forward as the trade-offs are deemed worthwhile, however, they would at least
be understood and, ideally, documented.  At present there seems to be an
exorable drift towards centralisation which, in my view, has a detrimental
impact on both resilience and privacy.  Such developments may satisfy the needs
of their proponents but are unlikely to be in the long-term interests of
end-users (RFC 8890) and, therefore, it would be helpful if this trend wasn’t
made worse by the introduction of new standards.

Andrew Campling