Hi all,

we have recently launched a mobile app that uses our website’s login and
authorization code flow to authenticate and authorize user access (following
RFC8252).

However, not all of our website features are natively ported to the app itself.
Some are only available on the website in logged-in state. That’s why we
implemented an authorization handover mechanism based on one-time login codes:
This allows the app (in logged-in state) to open a web view and hand over
authentication & authorization, effectively logging the user in on the website.
This achieves a seamless experience for the user without compromising on
security.

We came up with this mechanism after researching for prior practice, but we
couldn’t find anything applicable for this scenario.

Hence, three questions to the list:
1. Did we miss anything in our research? Is there a common best practice
available?
2. If the answer to 1. is “No”, would the working group appreciate an RFC draft
describing the solution we came up with? (We’d be eager for comments to make it
even more secure ☺ )
3. If the answer to 2. is “Yes”, can someone point me to documentation on the
procedure, if such exist?

Thanks for your support and
best regards,
Dominik

Sitz der Gesellschaft / Corporate Headquarters: Miles & More GmbH, Frankfurt am
Main, Registereintragung / Registration: Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main HRB
116409
Geschaeftsfuehrung / Management Board: Sebastian Riedle, Dr. Oliver Schmitt