On Thu, Apr 01, 2021 at 01:32:08PM -0700, Martin Duke via Datatracker wrote:
> Martin Duke has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-oauth-access-token-jwt-12: No Objection

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-access-token-jwt/

> COMMENT:
>
> (2.1) "...can use any signing algorithm." I presume there ought to be some
> qualifiers on allowed algorithms?
>
> (4) and (5) "This specification
>    does not provide a mechanism for identifying a specific key as the
>    one used to sign JWT access tokens."
>
> I don't understand; there's a key ID right there in the token header?

The concern here is about identifying keys authorized to sign JWS access
tokens.  The server-provided metadata that lists such keys has a single
bucket that covers keys used for signing different things, so you don't get
any security benefit from key isolation, and a compromise of any of the
(other) keys listed by the server would allow the attacker to sign JWT
access tokens that are accepted as valid.

So in a sense this is not about which key was actually used, but rather
which key is supposed to be used.

> (4) I presume it's important that any resouree server rejection of the token
> should be constant-time. Is this somewhere in the RFC tree, or do we need to
> explicitly say it here and/or in Security Considerations?

(A good question, but I don't actually have the answer handy in memory.)

-Ben