Hi Yannick, answers inline:

> There is a lot of debate around the question. Are these really security best
> practices?

The intent of this draft is to document the best practices today. If
anything in the document is not the best way to do something given the
documented constraints, then that should be revisited.

> Did you consider using a service worker or other frontend solutions (web
> worker, closure...) for safe token storage? That would make a pure frontend
> solution at least as safe as cookies.

This has been on my list to write up as another option.

> Why would a cookie be safer, as this opens CSRF attacks that would make the
> same actions available to a hacker that would be possible by getting hold of
> a token (which might even be more difficult)?

The assumption is that you would also protect against CSRF attacks
like any typical web application.

> What if the backend is stateless and so doesn't have any session

You would need to use an encrypted session cookie to avoid storing
server-side state, but this is available in many web frameworks.

Aaron