In my opinion, this document is not ready to be published as an RFC.

In fact, I will be at the OAuth Security Workshop in two weeks to discuss
exactly this (See "The insecurity of OAuth 2.0 in frontends" here:
https://oauth.secworkshop.events/osw2023/agenda-thursday). My hope is that my
presentation can spark the necessary discussion to identify a path forward to
make the RFC useful for practitioners building browser-based apps.

I don't have the resources available to write a lengthy email detailing my
objections. I just want to point out that I've raised these points on the
mailing list in the past, and there have been a couple of threads on this very
list suggesting how to move this document forward (e.g., identify concrete
threat models). I've also given a talk at NDC Security earlier this year
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpFN6gmct8c) about how the security mechanisms
proposed in this document fall short. This video has been posted to this list
before as well.

Here are a couple of suggestions that I believe would improve this document:

- Clearly identify the danger of malicious JS (exfiltrating existing tokens is
only one threat, and the most trivial one at that)
- State the baseline achievable level of security in light of existing XSS
vulnerabilities (i.e., session riding, where the attacker controls the frontend)
- Identify different desired levels of security for a client application (e.g.,
a "public recipe app" vs "eHealth"). Existing work can help, such as the OWASP
ASVS levels
(https://github.com/OWASP/ASVS/blob/master/4.0/en/0x03-Using-ASVS.md)
- Define which levels of security certain mechanisms can offer (e.g., RTR for
level 1, TMI-BFF for level 2, BFF for level 3)
- Remove unproven and overly complicated solutions (i.e., the service worker
approach)

As stated before, I'll be at OSW in London in 2 weeks and would be happy to
discuss this further.

Kind regards

Philippe

—