From: Denis <denis.i...@free.fr>
Sent: Mittwoch, 1. November 2023 19:18
To: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofe...@gmx.net>
Cc: sp...@ietf.org; oauth <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [SPICE] [OAUTH-WG] Relationship between SPICE and OAuth

Hi Hannes,

The current charter of the OAuth WG is available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/oauth/about/

The major problem is that both this charter and the OAuth 2.1 (or OAuth 2.0)
authorization framework
cannot currently address the three roles model with an Holder, an Issuer and
Verifier. In the three roles model,
there is no concept of a "resource owner ", nor of a "resource owner's consent".

Bridging the architectural narrative used in the core OAuth framework (AS, RS,
RO) and in the three roles model
(Holder, Issuer, Verifier) would not be appropriate.

As Justin mentioned in https://oauth.net/articles/authentication/:

      "Remember, since OAuth is a delegation protocol, this is fundamental to
its design".
      "In OAuth, the token is designed to be opaque to the client, but in the
context of a user authentication,
       the client needs to be able to derive some information from the token".

The current draft from "The OAuth 2.1 Authorization Framework" states in
section 1.4
(https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-oauth-v2-1-09.html#name-access-token):

       "An access token is a string representing an authorization issued to the
client.
        The string is considered opaque to the client, even if it has a
structure".

When using selective disclosure, the access token cannot remain opaque to the
client since it needs to be opened and modified by the client.
"Selective disclosure" is not a requirement: it is one mechanism that allows to
support the privacy principle of "collection limitation",
i.e., limiting the collection of end-users attributes to that which is strictly
necessary for the specified purpose(s).

However, "selectively disclosable claims" is only the tip of the "three roles
model" iceberg, since other disclosure mechanisms, e.g., based on zero
knowledge techniques
can be used and several privacy and security properties need to be considered.
With some models, some properties can be supported, while with other models
they can't.

The OAuth 2.0/2.1 framework cannot apply to a three roles model with an Holder,
an Issuer and Verifier. Rather than working with document increments
based on the OAuth 2.0/2.1 framework, a re-chartering the OAuth working group
would be necessary so that a framework tailored to the vocabulary
of three roles model could then be developed.

It should finally be noticed that the acronym of this WG, "OAuth", is a short
for "Open Authorization". It is questionable whether that acronym or its
meaning
would still be appropriate to address the three roles model which does not fit
into the OAuth 2.0/2.1 framework.

Note: On the SPICE BoF mailing list, I raised an issue and proposed an
alternative strawman proposal for the spice-charter
(https://github.com/transmute-industries/ietf-spice-charter/issues/3). I also
sent several emails requesting changes to the wording of the proposed charter.
Please note that at this time, I don't agree with the current wording of the
SPICE BoF charter.

Denis

Hi Hannes,

Am 1. Nov. 2023, 12:21 +0100 schrieb Hannes Tschofenig