Hi Rifaat,

FYI, I copy and paste a part of a message I sent to saag on 14/03/2024.

   *Every RFC shall include a "Terms and definitions" section for the
   vocabulary that it uses*

         This topic is rather for the IESG, but could be reported to
   the IESG by the SEC ADs.

         Every ISO standard must include a Clause 3 that defines the
   terms and the definitions that are used.
         This has a merit: different ISO standards can use the same
   terms with a different meaning when necessary.
         ISO provides a (free) nice tool to find ALL the definitions of
   a term in ALL the /published /ISO documents: https://www.iso.org/obp/ui
         This is a great help when there is the need to define a new
   term, and in some cases to avoid to reinvent the wheel.
         Note: within ISO, a definition is a single sentence and no more.

         Currently, the IETF does not mandate RFCs to include a "Terms
   and definitions" section. This should evolve.

         On the long term, it would be nice to have a resource like:
   https://www.ietf.org/obp/ui

Denis

I think we are in agreement here.
I did not mean for "dynamic" to be interpreted as the term might change after it was defined. I will try to avoid using the term "dynamic" to avoid any future confusion.

Regards,
 Rifaat

On Thu, Jun 13, 2024 at 3:10 PM Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca <mailto:mcr%2bi...@sandelman.ca>> wrote:

    Rifaat Shekh-Yusef <rifaat.s.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
        > That's where we started, but that was deemed problematic
    because that
        > document was produced as an Independent Submission Stream,
    which is
        > outside of the IETF process.  Also, the RFC is a static
    document, while
        > what we are proposing is a living and dynamic document.

    I think that we can update/replace 4949.  The fact that it came
    through ISE
    doesn't matter: we can produce a new document.

    While I agree that we need a living document which is easy to
    extend and
    amend, I don't actually think we want "dynamic".  Having the
    definition of
    terms change from under the users of the term is a problem.

    So I am in agreement that a git backed wiki is a good way to build a
    terminology, I think that the contents should be fixed
    periodically so that
    it can be stably referenced.  That doesn't mean it has to be an
    RFC; many
    wiki have the ability to reference a term at a specific date.

    ps: thank you for championing this, it's way overdue.

    --
    Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca
    <mailto:mcr%2bi...@sandelman.ca>>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )